HOW TO MAKE THE GYM A HABIT
03rd August 2018
A lot of people want to know how to get motivated to work out and build an exercise habit that sticks.
However wanting to make exercise a habit and actually doing it are two different things. Changing your behaviour is difficult and can take time.
The problem comes with sticking at it. All too often, our initial enthusiasm and energy wanes, we get distracted by other things going on in our lives, or we don't think we're seeing results quickly enough - and this can make us become unmotivated and potentially quit.
We've put together some simple tips to help you get the best out of your workout and making going to the gym a habit...
1. Organise your gym clothes the evening before, to ensure you have no excuses not to go! If you’re a morning gym-goer then have your clothes and trainers by your bed ready to get dressed and go. If you’re an evening gym-goer, be sure to have your gym bag ready and packed the evening before.
2. Decide what time of day you’re likely to workout everyday and stick to it! If you attend the gym at the same time then soon enough it’ll just become part of your daily routine rather than a task.
3. Find what exercises you like and mix up your workouts every now and then. If you associate working out as painful and boring then you’ll soon stop forcing yourself to go. Make going to the gym fun and challenging, find out your favourite exercises, maybe join a class and keep going- with progress comes excitement.
4. Start small with relatively easy and short exercises. Basically, the motivation behind this is that it is something so easy that you can’t say no. Sometimes just getting dressed and heading to the gym can be huge progress, then everything else will just fall into place from there.
5. Focus on the habit first and the results later. The typical approach to diet and exercise is that people want immediate results. However, this won’t come without habit and progress first. Find a goal, for example wanting to lose 1 stone in 8 weeks, and use this to motivate yourself to continue making the gym a habit.