3 easy, quick and healthy recipes
16th January 2019
Think you’re too busy to make healthy food? Think again! We’ve collated 3 simple, nutritional recipes with low-calories that can easily be made in half an hour.
We know dark early mornings and late nights can you leave you out of the cooking spirit this time of the year, and life can be a bit hectic at times, so we’ve got you covered.
We’ve picked our personal favourites from BBC Good Food - look on their page for more delicious, healthy recipes.
From stir fry to soup, we’ve picked out our 3 tasty favourites!
Thai Prawn and ginger noodles
Serves 2. Ready in 30 minutes.
· 100g folded rice noodles
· Zest and juice 1 small orange
· 1-2 tsp fish sauce
· 1 ½ tbsp red curry paste
· 2 tsp light brown soft sugar
· 1 tbsp sunflower oil
· 25g ginger
· 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
· 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
· 85g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
· 140g beansprouts
· 175g pack raw king prawns
· Handful chopped basil
· Handful chopped coriander
1. Put the noodles in a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover them. Set aside to soak for 10 mins.
2. Stir together the orange juice and zest, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar and 3tbsp water to make a sauce.
3. Heat the oil in a large wok and add half the ginger and the garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 min.
4. Add the pepper and stir-fry for 3 mins more.
5. Toss in the sugar snaps, cook briefly, then pour in the curry sauce.
6. Add the beansprouts and prawns and continue cooking until the prawns just turn pink.
7. Drain the noodles, then toss these into the pan with the herbs and remaining ginger.
8. Mix until the noodles are well coated in the sauce, then serve.
For more guidance - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/thai-prawn-ginger-noodles
Pomegranate chicken with almond couscous
Serves 4. Ready in 20 minutes.
· 1 tbsp vegetable oil
· 200g couscous
· 1 chicken stock cube
· 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
· 600g chicken mini fillets
· 4 tbsp tagine spice paste or tbsp harissa
· 190ml bottle pomegranate juice
· 100g pack pomegranate seeds
· 100g pack toasted flaked almond
· Small pack mint, chopped
1. Boil the kettle and heat the oil in a large frying pan. Put the couscous in a bowl with some seasoning and crumble in half the stock cube.
2. Add the onion to the pan and fry for a few mins to soften.
3. Pour boiling water over the couscous to just cover, then cover the bowl with a tea towel and set aside.
4. Push the onion to one side of the pan, add the chicken fillets and brown on all sides.
5. Stir in the tagine paste or harissa and the pomegranate juice, then crumble in the rest of the stock cube and season well.
6. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 mins until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
7. Stir through the pomegranate seeds, saving a few to scatter over before serving.
8. After 5 mins, fluff up the couscous with a fork and stir through the almonds and mint.
9. Serve the chicken on the couscous with the sauce spooned over.
For more guidance - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pomegranate-chicken-almond-couscous
Spiced Carrot and lentil soup
Serves 4. Ready in 25 minutes.
· 2 tsp cumin seeds
· Pinch chilli flakes
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 600g carrots
· 140g split red lentils
· 1l hot vegetable stock
· 125ml milk
· Plain yoghurt
· Naan bread to serve
1. Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
2. Scoop out about half with a spoon and set aside. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g coarsely grated carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
4. Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
5. Season to taste and finish with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.
For more guidance - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2089/spiced-carrot-and-lentil-soup
If you make any of these make sure to email them to email@example.com or hastag #lifestylefitnessfood